Del Norte Indian Education Center Program Assistant I
Northern California Indian Development Council, Inc.
241 F Street, Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 445-8451 – Fax (707) 445-8479
Job Number - 020
POSITION: Del Norte Indian Education Center Program Assistant I
COMPENSATION: Commensurate with Experience
SUPERVISOR: Education Center Program Coordinator
JOB LOCATION: Crescent City, CA
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Education Program Assistant I will provide a variety of services including coordination of academic tutoring, assisting the Program Coordinator with learning activities, creative arts instruction, cultural activities, and other services that provide opportunities for growth for American Indian students and families. Other responsibilities include maintaining tracking systems; researching, collecting and distributing information to administrative staff; and, providing support to the IEC Program Coordinator. The Education Program Coordinator’s Assistant I will establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with NCIDC staff, parents and school district staff, administrators and faculty. Sample duties include:
- Prepare tutorial schedule
- Monitor daily center activities
- Understand and enforce safety rules and emergency procedures
- Keep IEC Program Coordinator informed on such issues as neglect, abuse, health or emotional problems concerning the children or families
- Attend appropriate parent meetings, potlucks and fundraisers
- Record daily student attendance
- Represent the program at various community committees and meetings
- Assist with annual program planning and development
- Perform other job-related duties which may be assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the program and organization
Responsible for facilitating the efficient and timely movement of children from school to the DNIEC. This includes recognition of who is to be transported on specified days and noting when a child does not show up at the pick-up point. The transporter is responsible for picking up passengers, assuring they wear their seatbelts and driving with care to the Education Center. Must have a California Drivers License (no special license required) a clean driving record and insurance.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and 1 years’ experience working in education or youth programs
- California Driver’s License (DMV record required); Insurable driver (proof required), fingerprinting under FBI, DOJ or equivalent guidelines, TB and Hepatitis B testing
- Must pass County Teachers Aid exam or equivalent
- Must have knowledge of computer operations and basic business machines
- Must have work history substantiating dependability and reliability; ability to complete detailed work with accuracy; and, ability to discharge work functions with minimal supervision.
- Must have excellent personal and professional communication skills. A writing sample will be required for candidates receiving an interview
- Must be familiar with the culture and traditions of local tribes
- Pre-employment drug testing required.
- AA and 6 months experience working with children in a formal setting or
- Training in child abuse/neglect, disabilities awareness, nutritional issues, domestic violence and/or substance abuse, tutorial services or related fields
- Classroom experience
- Familiarity with Macintosh computers
American Indian preference applies as applicable under P.L. 93-63