State and Federal Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC)
Could you use up to $6,000 of additional income? See if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credits on both the State and Federal levels!
EITC is a refundable tax credit that can put hundreds, even thousands, of dollars back in the pockets of working Californians. Last year, California created its own state Earned Income Tax Credit to supplement the federal EITC. When the federal and state EITC are combined, qualifying families can earn over $6,000 in EITC, just by filing their taxes. (Not everyone qualifies for the maximum credit. Last year, the average credit was $2,407.)
- A valid social security number.
- Earned income from employment or self-employment.
- Did not use the married filing separately filing status.
- A U.S. citizen or resident alien all year or a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien and filing a joint income tax return.
- Earned income and adjusted gross income of no more than:
- $53,505 for married filing jointly with three or more qualifying children;
$20,430 for married filing jointly with no qualifying children.
- Single individuals with no qualifying children may also be eligible for a smaller credit.
You can get more info here about local services in your county that can help you determine if you are eligible for these credits and also help you file your taxes for free!
More info about California EITC: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/press/Fact_Sheets/EITC.pdf
More info about Federal EITC: https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit